Grading Policies
skip to main content

Grading and Academic Record Symbols

The grading practices of the El Camino Community College District shall be as follows:


 Semester Unit of Credit

College work at El Camino College is measured in terms of semester units. One unit of credit is awarded for approximately 54 hours of lecture, study or laboratory work. The amount of credit awarded shall be adjusted in proportion to the number of hours of lecture, study or laboratory work.


 Grade Records

Instructors will maintain records required by the District and report grades in a timely manner based on District procedures, as per the Instructor Position Description.

Instructors shall maintain a careful record of graded assignments and, to support the grade assigned for the course, the grade roster should have a minimum of three grades plus the final examination grade for each student.


 Grades, Grade Points, and Grade Point Average

Grade points are numerical values which indicate the scholarship level of letter grades. The grade point average equals the total grade points divided by the total units attempted for credit courses in which letter grades (evaluative symbols) have been assigned. Grade points are assigned according to the scale in the chart below and shall be published in the college catalog.


Evaluative Symbols




4 points for each unit



3 points for each unit



2 points for each unit


Passing, less than satisfactory

1 point for each unit



0 points for each unit


Pass, at least satisfactory (formerly C for Credit)

See Note 1


No Pass, less than satisfactory (formerly NC for No Credit)

See Note 1


 Non-Evaluative Symbols




See Note 2


In Progress

See Note 3



See Note 4


Military Withdrawal

See Note 5


Excused Withdrawal

See Note 6


Report Delayed

See Note 7




1.  P/NP – Pass/No Pass (formerly Cr/NC for Credit/No Credit)

A certain number of courses are offered only on a P/NP basis while some others are offered on a P/NP or letter grade option depending on which the student selects by the fourth week of a 16-week class or 30% of a class. A student earning a P grade will receive unit credit toward graduation if the course is degree-applicable. Non-credit courses may also be offered P/NP. Unit credit earned in P/NP courses will not be considered when calculating grade point average. Designation of P/NP or option P/NP grading is included in the course description. All grades in credit courses except W and P/NP will be considered in determining the grade point average. While NP and W grades are not used in grade point determination, a student with an excessive number of withdrawals or NPs is subject to course repetition limitations and probation or dismissal regulations.  P/NP is non-reversable.  

Request:  Pass/No Pass Request Form

Pass / No Pass Deadlines Coming Soon 

Opting for a Pass / No Pass instead of a grade is a BIG DEAL. For information on the grading basis decision process, view this video, view this presentation or contact a counselor for guidance. 
Deadlines for each semester/term are on the Pass/No Pass form.  The deadline will vary depending on when the  class is offered. 
Please use this form to request a Pass / No Pass in place of a letter grade.   Once the request is processed it is not reversible 


2.  I - Incomplete

A student may receive a notation of “I” (Incomplete) and a default grade when a student did not complete his or her academic work for unforeseeable, emergency, and justifiable reasons. The Incomplete grade to be assigned by the instructor and designated on the student’s transcript will be IB, IC, ID, IF, or INP. Collectively, these grades will be referred to as an “I” grade. The written record containing the conditions for removal of the “I” will be held for the student in the Records Office through the sixth week of the next regular semester. If the student does not complete the required work by the end of the sixth week, the “I” will automatically be removed and the default grade will be assigned. Any extension of the time for completion of the required work must be approved by the division dean. The student should petition for the extension of time on a form provided by the Admissions Office.


3.  IP - In Progress

The “IP” symbol shall be used only in those courses which extend beyond the normal end of an academic term. It indicates that work is “in progress,” but that assignment of an evaluative symbol (grade) must await its completion. The “IP” symbol shall remain on the student’s permanent record in order to satisfy enrollment documentation. The appropriate evaluative symbol (grade) and unit credit shall be assigned and appear on the student’s permanent record for the term in which the course is completed. The “IP” shall not         be used in calculating grade point averages. If a student enrolled in an “open-entry, open-exit” course is assigned an “IP” at the end of an attendance period and does not reenroll in that course during the subsequent attendance period, the appropriate faculty will assign an evaluative symbol (grade A through F, P, or NP) to be recorded on the student’s permanent record for the course.


4.  W - Withdrawal

It is the responsibility of the student to officially drop a class by the published withdrawal date. If a student fails to drop by that date, the student may be subject to a substandard grade.  A student may also be dropped by the instructor if the student has been absent for more that 10% of the scheduled class meetings. Withdrawal from classes is authorized through the 12th week of instruction in a 16 week class, or 75% of a class, whichever is less. If a student remains in class beyond the published withdrawal date an evaluative symbol (grade A through F, P, or NP) or an “I” (Incomplete) shall be assigned. A student who must withdraw after the published withdrawal date due to extenuating circumstances may petition for assignment of a “W.” Extenuating circumstances are verified cases of accidents, illnesses or other circumstances beyond the control of the student.

No notation (“W” or other) shall be made on the academic record of the student who withdraws prior to the close of the second week of a 16-week class, or 20% of a class, whichever is less. Any withdrawal occurring after the published No Notation date shall be recorded as a “W” on the student’s record.

The “W” shall not be used in calculating grade point averages, but excessive “W’s” shall be used as factors in course repetition and probation and dismissal procedures.


5.  MW – Military Withdrawal

Military Withdrawal occurs when a student who is a member of an active or reserve United States military service receives orders compelling a withdrawal from courses. Upon verification of such orders, the student may be assigned "MW.” Military withdrawals shall not be counted in the limitation on excessive withdrawals nor in progress probation and dismissal calculations.


6.  EW – Excused Withdrawal

An Excused Withdrawal (EW) occurs when a student is permitted to withdraw from a course(s) due to specific events beyond the control of the student affecting his or her ability to complete a course(s) and may include a job transfer outside the geographical region, an illness in the family where the student is the primary caregiver, when the student who is incarcerated in a California state prison or county jail is released from custody or involuntarily transferred before the end of the term, when the student is the subject of an immigration action, or other extenuating circumstances making course completion impractical. In the case of an incarcerated student, an excused withdrawal cannot be applied if the failure to complete the course(s) was the result of a student's behavioral violation or if the student requested and was granted a mid-semester transfer.

Upon verification of these conditions by the registrar and consistent with the district's required documentation substantiating the condition, an excused withdrawal symbol may be assigned at any time after the period established by the governing board during which no notation is made for withdrawals. The withdrawal symbol so assigned shall be an “EW.”

An Excused Withdrawal shall not be counted in progress probation and dismissal calculations and shall not be counted toward the permitted number of withdrawals or counted as an enrollment attempt.  The EW does not qualify for a refund. 


7.  RD – Report Delayed

The “RD” symbol may be assigned by the registrar only. It is to be used when there is a delay in reporting the grade of a student due to circumstances beyond the control of the student. It is a temporary notation to be replaced by a permanent symbol as soon as possible. “RD” shall not be used in calculating grade point averages.


5.  Definition of an Academic Week

For purposes of this policy, a week of a semester is defined as one having at least three days of campus-wide instruction, as scheduled in the El Camino College calendar.


Grade Change

When grades are given for any course of instruction taught in the El Camino Community College District, the grade given to each student shall be the grade determined by the instructor of the course, and the determination of the student's grade by the instructor, in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency, shall be final.

A student who alleges that a grade in a course was given as a result of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency may appeal the grade within 18 months of the last day of the term in which the grade was posted.

Upon determination by the District that a grade in a course was given as a result of fraud, the District may change or remove the fraudulent grade from the student’s transcript of record based on the recommendation of a faculty committee. Such action may be initiated upon determination of the fraud without regard to the time limits imposed on other grade appeal actions.

Procedures for changing or removing grades in accordance with this policy have been developed by the Superintendent/President or designees in collegial consultation with the Academic Senate.

This policy supersedes the section of BP 4220 that deals with grade change procedures.


Administrative Procedure 4231 (Grade Change)

Students may view the Administrative Procedure 4231 (Grade Change) on the El Camino College Website

For further information on Academic Probation and Course Repetition Policy and Procedures - Visit the College Catalog.