Study Abroad
skip to main content


Get or Renew Passports

First Time
Minors under age 14
Diplomatic, Official, & Regular No-Fee
Application Processing Time
Online Application Status Check

Lost or Stolen Passports

Lost or Stolen Passports
Lost or Stolen Passports in the US

Frequently Requested Info

Frequently Requested Information
Add Extra Pages
Schedule an Appointment
Passport Publications

Applications and Forms

Applications and Forms
Application for Passport: DS-11
Application for Passport by Mail (Renewals Only): DS-82
Application for Additional Visa Pages: DS-4085
Application for Passport Re-Application (Changes/
Corrections to Current Valid Passports): DS-5504

Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport: DS-64
Statement of Consent: Issuing a Passport to a Minor
Under Age 14: DS-3053

Passport Policy Information

Passport Policy Information
News Bulletins and Other Notices
Family and Children's Passport Issues
Information for Law Enforcement


Other Services and Information

Other Services and Information
Obtain Copies of Passport Records
Order Applications in Bulk
Travel Professionals
Acceptance Agents

U.S. Passport Statistics
Obtain a Birth Certificate
Guide for Professional Photographers

About Passport Services

About Passport Services
Who We Are
National Passport Information Center
Regional Passport Agencies
Where to Apply in the U.S.


The Passport Services Office provides information and services to American citizens about how to obtain, replace or change a passport. A passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer. A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue or verify United States passports.

New Application for a U.S. Passport

To obtain a passport for the first time, you need to go in person to one of 6,000 passport acceptance facilities located throughout the United States with two photographs of yourself, proof of U.S. citizenship, and a valid form of photo identification such as a driver's license. Acceptance facilities include many Federal, state and probate courts, post offices, some public libraries and a number of county and municipal offices. There are also 13 regional passport agencies, most of which serve only those who are departing urgently. Appointments are required in such cases. You'll need to apply in person if you are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time; if your expired U.S. passport is not in your possession; if your previous U.S. passport has expired and was issued more than 15 years ago; or if your previous U.S. passport was issued when you are under 16 your currently valid U.S. passport has been lost of stolen.For more information on getting a new passport, please see: How to get a passport.

Renewal of a U.S. Passport

You can renew by mail if: Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged; you received the passport within the past 15 years; you were over age 16 when it was issued; you still have the same name, or can legally document your name change. If your passport has been, altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail. You must apply in person. For more information on how to renew a passport, please see: How to renew a passport.

The content of this page has been obtained from the Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S. Department of State.